Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Addison's Mark by Matt Kuvakos

 Photo Credit: Amazon


This book is a Young Adult novel and there will be a sequel to this book. I would consider it Christian political fiction, but in the normal Christian book store kind of way. Normally, I do not read books in a series at all. If I choose to read them, I wait until several or all of the books are out, so I don't have to wait on any more. Often I lose interest in the series before the next one comes out. A series has to be exceptional for me to start reading it and wait on further books. This book just might fall into that category.


The setting in post economic fall America is very clear. It was not written so tragically that I wanted to stop reading. However, it was not glossed over as if it weren't real either. The sequences about visions were described vividly and their duration was clear as well. The characters were interesting and believable. I quite easily fell in love with the main characters. I knew who I didn't trust as well as who was caught in the middle. The plot moved along well. It was fast paced without being so fast as to lose the internal character struggle. When plots move so fast that they lose the internal character struggle, I stop reading and deem it poorly written. This book was not at all that way. 


However there were a couple things that I didn't care for. Theologically I disagreed in a few places. I did not disagree with the overall presentation of God, angels, Heaven, demons, etc. I did have an issue with Sam's ability to see and know all of this without declaring God as Lord. The ending seemed more like a stopping place rather than an ending. I understand it is book 1 of 2, but I didn't feel the resolution was sufficient enough to consider it the end of the book. I did like the way some things were hinted at without directly telling us. We have hints at what is coming, especially if you are aware of Biblical prophecies. However, it has not been so directly stated that there are no surprises left. I didn't like that it was not presented as Book 1 of 2, but I discussed those thoughts above. I didn't particularly like the cover, but I don't know that I could have done better. So maybe that isn't a very valid point.

I assume that the many questions I have left will be answered in Book 2. So I don't count those against the book. Some reviews did not like the abundance of similes and metaphors. I was not distracted by the similes and metaphors. It made Sam Addison more believable as a 20 year old non-scholar. Some mentioned confusion during the vision sequences, but that was not a problem for me.

Overall, the story itself is very good and doesn't limit itself to simply a young adult audience. The minor problems do not detract from the enjoyment of the whole novel.

DISCLAIMER:
I received a free copy of the book from Story Cartel in exchange for an honest review.


_________________________________________________________________________________

Addison's Mark


Twenty-year-old Sam Addison is marked by both good and evil. Sam is plagued by thoughts of his parent’s violent and mysterious deaths, making survival during a major economic collapse in the United States difficult to endure on his own. Before he loses all hope, an ethereal being visits him in multiple dreams and visions, trying to ignite his faith. Sam tries to forget what he saw, but it’s something that simply can’t be ignored when he finds an odd marking burned onto his wrist. He becomes consumed with unanswered questions about his purpose in life and what the mark could mean or even do. Until, he meets the beautiful Ashlin Ammon, the adopted daughter of the popular presidential nominee, and who some call the “savior” of the dying country, Marcus Ammon, who sees a lot of himself in Sam. Once invited to join the campaign trail as an assistant for Marcus, Sam is pulled into a war no man could ever survive. He is left with a choice that will not only change himself, but mankind forever.

  • Paperback: 272 pages
Buy New $9.89

No comments: