Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Ocean At The End Of The Lane by Neil Gaiman

 Photo Credit: Amazon


I had this book on my to be read list for a while and had thatuple opportunities to put it on my read list, but I didn't. I just wasn't convinced that I would really enjoy this book, so I passed it up a couple times. I finally decided to take it off of my TBR list, but I also got a few other guaranteed winners just in case. So what is my verdict?

Why did I wait so long?!

This book is heart squeezingly fabulous. It is a homey fantasy that is lovely and tragic and beautiful and creepy. In today's day where the idea of longer is better, this book is a scant 180 some pages. One could assume that it isn't long enough to really connect with the characters and have a sufficiently plotted story. Those assumptions would be wrong.

I  connected with the characters quickly and passionately. Some I loved, some I hated, some I pitied, and some I feared. They were all very well drawn and believable within their world, which was just almost our world. The plot is well done. We are left wanting more, but knowing that more is not possible and could quite possibly ruin what has already been recorded.

And yes recorded is the correct word. It is more of a recorded tale instead of a written story. It feels like an old tale that is somehow foundational to all that we know and all that we have forgotten.

I will say that there is one tiny part that gave me a cold chill because it was creepy. That shouldn't keep you from reading it, but I want to warn you that it is there.


A brilliantly imaginative and poignant fairy tale from the modern master of wonder and terror, The Ocean at the End of the Lane is Neil Gaiman’s first new novel for adults since his #1 New York Timesbestseller Anansi Boys.
This bewitching and harrowing tale of mystery and survival, and memory and magic, makes the impossible all too real...
  • Paperback: 181 pages
  • Publisher: William Morrow (June 3, 2014)
  • Language: English
  • Buy New
     $9.45

No comments: