Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Two Sci-Fi Novellas

Relics: The Dawn: Relics Singularity Series Book 1Relics: The Dawn: Relics Singularity Series Book 1 by Nick Thacker
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

There is a lot of tech speak in this novel. I understood most of it, but there were moments that didn't make any sense. But since it is Science Fiction, I assumed it was made up. Most of those things were specific details. The general idea of those conversations was clear.

I don't particularly like series of books because I have a hard time caring for the long periods of time in between novels. And I was prepared to not like this one as I couldn't see how there could be a satisfying ending. I was wrong. There was a satisfying ending. So much so that I am even willing to wait on the next book in the series.

After all that negative, you might be wondering why I gave it 3 stars. Thacker creates great characters and a compelling plot. I genuinely like the main characters and I'm desperately hoping for the best for them. The plot seems simple, but really has many layers. Just when I start to understand one part another part comes up with questions.

So the plot and characters are worth 3 stars even if the details are sketchy and it is a series. Fascinating read that will make you think. It is worth the money.


View all my reviews

The Lucid - Season One: The BeginningThe Lucid - Season One: The Beginning by Nick Thacker
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm so glad they didn't use the word zombies. They used the word suppressed. I like that idea much better. It seems more realistic and less gruesome. It fits this novel very well.
I also like Adam's heart. His love for his family is developed throughout the novel. It isn't just a throw away thought to show his humanity. It is his driving force. This makes him the obvious good guy. And the obvious bad guy has no family and seems to have no feelings for anyone else. He doesn't have much humanity left in him.
I like the clear cut good guy and bad guy. I like that the problem of humanity is brought down to a personal and familial level. These things set this novella apart from other "end of humanity, machines are taking over" novels I have read. I look forward to others in this series.


View goodmy reviews

I preferred The Lucid to Relics. However for just a few bucks a piece, they are both a good investment. If don't like science fiction, you may not like these. Relics is very computer tech heavy. The Lucid is more about chemicals in the tech department, but not too much in the first novella anyway. They are both great to get you thinking about what if. 

No comments: