Tuesday, November 17, 2015

A Jewish Grandma and a Coffeehouse

You think this the beginning of a joke. It is really the beginning of two book reviews.

Death Before Decaf (A Java Jive Mystery, #1)Death Before Decaf by Caroline Fardig
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

First things first, I received this in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley.

I really wanted to give this book a 4.5! In good "snobby reader" conscious I can't give a cozy mystery 5 stars. But it probably is one of the best modern mystery novels I have read. I could guess part of the solution, but I certainly did not have it all together. So I loved the surprise at the end. I loved the characters and that surprises me. I'm not one that normally falls in love with mystery novel characters. I enjoyed the humor. I didn't laugh out loud, but as I said earlier I'm a book snob. I was also surprised that I liked the love triangle as much as I did. I am definitely Team Ryder! But I fear that we are supposed to be Team Pete. I never pick the winning guy. I can't wait for the next installment. I want to know what happens next with Juliet and Java Jive.
Well written, interesting characters, a mystery that keeps you guessing, a bit of humor, and some romance to top it all off. I really loved this one.


View all my reviews


A Pain in the Tuchis (A Mrs. Kaplan Mystery #2)A Pain in the Tuchis by Mark Reutlinger
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

First things first. I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley.

Having read and enjoyed Mrs. Kaplan and the Matzoh Ball of Death, I thought I would pick this one up. I am SOOO glad I did. I enjoyed this one more than the first one. Reading about Mrs. Kaplan and Ida again was so much fun. It feels like I get to visit with my very own Jewish grandmother. I get to learn a new language and hear about their adventures. Mr. Reutlinger does a great job of making the language a natural part of the story and keep us in the loop. The solution to this mystery was not a complete surprise. I had suspicions about who was the culprit, but I can't say that I had it all figured out. I did enjoy the solution of the previous book more than this one. However, I enjoyed Mrs. K and Ida more in this one than in the previous one. So just go buy both of them and enjoy some time at the Julius and Rebecca Cohen Home for Jewish Seniors!


View all my reviews


I really loved both of these and I look forward to reading the next installments of them. If you like mysteries without too much blood and guts and heartache, read these. They fit nicely into their genre, cozy mysteries.

No comments: