Sunday, January 3, 2016

Reading Wrap Up for 2015

If you read my Reading Preview from this year, you might feel like you know what my reading year looked like. You would be wrong. I read very little from that list.

Photo Credit: Rebecca Siegel

These are the ones I read from the list:
Theology in Aisle Seven
Asylum
The Haunting of Maddy Clare
The Day the Angels Fell
The Immortal Lives of Henrietta Lacks
Destiny of the Republic
The Night Circus

7 of 22 isn't a great number, but I'm not really tied to that list. I'm very much a mood reader. I read what I am in the mood for and I haven't been in the mood for several of those. I have also read what I can find easy. So between those two factors, I didn't read most of the list. I did however read a bunch of other great books. Hopefully 70 by December 31. I think I have to read 5 more. You can check my GoodReads shelf, but there are 2 of those that I didn't finish and one that I skimmed through about 75% of it. So it isn't totally accurate.

My reading year was much more prolific than I expected. My goal was 35 books. I plan to get to 70, double what I expected! How is this possible?

1. Young Adult books - High interest, and Low reading level. Quick and easy reads that I loved.
2. Audiobooks - I got a new phone and put my library's ebook app on there. I have listened to many books there.

There is more than once I have chosen to turn off the TV and pick up my book. I have turned off the Facebook games and picked up my book. And that makes me happy. Reading is very much a deep part of me. When I nurture that, I am happier. I need to remember that more often.

On to my top 10 of the year:

1. Burnt Toast Makes You Sing Good by Kathleen Flinn
2. The Immortal Lives of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
3. Waistcoats & Weaponry by Gail Carriger
4. Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech
5. The Fall by Bethany Griffin
6. Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine, and the Murder of a President by Candice Millard
7. The Night Circus by Erin Morganstern
8. Black Venus by James MacManus
9. Theology in Aisle Seven: The Uncommon Grace of Everyday Spirituality by Carolyn Arrends
10. Sapphire Blue by Kertin Gier (Precious Stone Trilogy #2)

Honorable Mention:

I'm fond of Cozy Mysteries, but they don't necessarily deserve to be on a top 10 list. So these are a few cozies that I have enjoyed this year and characters I plan to read more of.

Consigned to Death by Jane L. Cleland (Josie Prescott Antiques #1)
Death Before Decaf by Caroline Fardig (A Java Jive Mystery #1)
Pain in the Tuchis by Mark Reutlinger (A Mrs. Kaplan Mystery #2)
Shadow Ritual by Eric Giacometti and Jaques Ravenne. Anne Trager - Translator. (Antoine Marcas #2)

Another honorable mention:

I've also been on a journey this year for Nick Thacker's Street Team. I get a free copy of what he writes. I read it in a week or two after getting it and review it. He writes science fiction. Generally I prefer fantasy to science fiction. However, I really enjoy Nick Thacker's writing. This is the book that made me apply to his street team.

The Atlantis Deception by Nick Thacker

No comments: