Saturday, July 22, 2017

A Sucker for Settings

Recently it occurred to me that there are a couple settings that I always enjoy. I am definitely a reader who counts on a sense of place to really submerse myself in the book.  Some settings just don't interest me, but others will draw me in even if the story stinks.  I have mentioned this before, but this is a different kind of setting. (Although I am very into the Southeastern US now! Maybe that will be a post for next week.)

If the characters live in these places,  I am in love.

1. A seaside cottage, especially when it is raining or snowing and there is a fire going.  I'm sure that seems really specific, but that is just about the coziest fictional scene I can imagine. The book I am currently reading, I Found You, is that cozy, which is good because the suspense is creeping me out. This is also the reason I love the Josie Prescott cozy mystery series.


2. A mansion/estate/big house with a long gravel driveway in the spring or summer with interesting gardens. Again that is specific, but there are so many stories you can tell there! Romance, horror, mystery, literary fiction, etc. A couple off the top of my head,  The Haunting of Hill House and Wuthering Heights.

There might be more places, but those are off the top of my head.  What books do you know of that have these settings?

No comments: